• Welcome Guest to the new PlayerSquared! Please be aware the site is a work in progress & we'd appreciate your help in letting us know which features from the old site we're currently missing as well as report any bugs you find via this thread here: Bugs/Missing Features
  • If this is your first visit You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. Sign up today to get the latest PS4 GameSaves, Game Mods and much more!

Outage Report: April 2nd, 2021

Status
Not open for further replies.

JB

Remember, no Russian.
Administrator
November 30, 2018
UK
Welcome back all!

I think DNS should now be fully re-propagated so it seems like an ideal time to talk about what happened yesterday, and how we're going to avoid any similar issues going forwards.

Yesterday, a glitch at our domain registrar resulted in the nameservers for playersquared.com being reset to an incorrect value, which lead to the site going offline. As DNS caches around the world, we were unable to immediately understand the issue, and initially put it down to a global DNS outage that affected numerous sites including a bunch of Microsoft services. By the time DNS had fully updated to reflect the new nameservers, it was late UK time. We got the issue resolved a very short amount of time later.

So what have we done to prevent this happening again in the future? We've finished transferring the domain to another registrar where myself, Vince and Tustin all have access in the extremely unlikely instance that something like this happens again. This means that regardless of who's online/offline, someone should be available to resolve such an issue quickly going forwards.

During the outage, I also took the time to run some upgrades across the site and server and perform some general maintenance.

Apologies from all of us for the inconvenience caused yesterday, rest assured it will not happen again!

Status
Not open for further replies.