• Welcome Guest to the new PlayerSquared! Please be aware the site is a work in progress & we'd appreciate your help in letting us know which features from the old site we're currently missing as well as report any bugs you find via this thread here: Bugs/Missing Features
  • If this is your first visit You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. Sign up today to get the latest PS4 GameSaves, Game Mods and much more!

The future of the HIDE tag

How do we implement the HIDE tag in v3?

• Some other system (provide details below).

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

JB

Remember, no Russian.
Administrator
November 30, 2018
UK
Hi all,

This has been something I've been thinking about for a good while now, but I'd like to see what the community thinks before we do anything incorrect.

As you may or may not be aware, we use a modification that allows you to hide content in your posts until it is "thanked", at which point you receive +rep (and credits?). It's used throughout the gamesave forums moreso than anywhere else, and while I see it's value to you guys, I also believe it is not the best solution, for a variety of reasons including being able to remove your thanks after accessing the hidden content.

So, it raises the question of how we go about tackling this issue when we implement it in v3, and how we improve that system.

We have a few options:

1. We keep the current system intact, with the same issues it currently has.
  2. We swap out the thanks system in place of a button that "purchases" the content with credits, with the credits being paid to the user who posted the content. The credits can then be spent in the new store to unlock additional site features (more on that in a later post).
  3. Some other system (provide details below).

I want to make it clear that I haven't started implementing any of these as of yet as I need your feedback on how we alter the system, and we want to make sure we get it right for both users downloading saves, and you guys who post them. If you have any other ideas on what we could do, please feel free to share them below for consideration. We absolutely want to get this right!

Hi all,

This has been something I've been thinking about for a good while now, but I'd like to see what the community thinks before we do anything incorrect.

As you may or may not be aware, we use a modification that allows you to hide content in your posts until it is "thanked", at which point you receive +rep (and credits?). It's used throughout the gamesave forums moreso than anywhere else, and while I see it's value to you guys, I also believe it is not the best solution, for a variety of reasons including being able to remove your thanks after accessing the hidden content.

So, it raises the question of how we go about tackling this issue when we implement it in v3, and how we improve that system.

We have a few options:

1. We keep the current system intact, with the same issues it currently has.
  2. We swap out the thanks system in place of a button that "purchases" the content with credits, with the credits being paid to the user who posted the content. The credits can then be spent in the new store to unlock additional site features (more on that in a later post).
  3. Some other system (provide details below).

I want to make it clear that I haven't started implementing any of these as of yet as I need your feedback on how we alter the system, and we want to make sure we get it right for both users downloading saves, and you guys who post them. If you have any other ideas on what we could do, please feel free to share them below for consideration. We absolutely want to get this right!

So, in v3, there is the ability for someone to remove their thanks after revealing hidden content?

If that's the case, can you not disable/remove the "remove thanks"
(because it's more likely it will come up as that once you have thanked a thread/post - I'm just guessing here)

Anyways, if option 2 is going to be easier, I would go for option 2

So, in v3, there is the ability for someone to remove their thanks after revealing hidden content?

If that's the case, can you not disable/remove the "remove thanks"
(because it's more likely it will come up as that once you have thanked a thread/post - I'm just guessing here)

Anyways, if option 2 is going to be easier, I would go for option 2

The issue is present in the current site - I don't think the ability to hide a post again after initially unhiding it is good, especially when it reverses the rep changes etc. But I also think "Thanks" should be removable from posts, which is why I think the credit option is a better solution (plus, you can redeem things with it or spend it elsewhere around the site).

I just do it because I believe it encourages guests to sign up and maybe stick around, share more saves and grow the site. As the store stands, I have no incentive to spend my credits. I'd need more info about these additional site features before voting.

I just do it because I believe it encourages guests to sign up and maybe stick around, share more saves and grow the site. As the store stands, I have no incentive to spend my credits. I'd need more info about these additional site features before voting.

A lot of the stuff currently in the new store is profile customization items however I'm also toying with the idea of being able to purchase VIP with credits, but I'll need to figure out exactly how to go about doing that first.

I'm down for this. At the end of the day. You need to be rewarded in some way for taking time to make saves, instead of thanking and unthanking, but what if you have no credits? What happens then? How would you require more?

I'm down for this. At the end of the day. You need to be rewarded in some way for taking time to make saves, instead of thanking and unthanking, but what if you have no credits? What happens then? How would you require more?

I'm unsure, and it's one of the things that needs to be figured out clearly before any work on this is done. I'm not keen on making credits purchasable, and while they should be easy enough to accumulate, there will be a time when you don't have the credits to unlock a save.

Perhaps an alternative solution:
  • Save creator posts the save file in a saves-only section.
  • It's a thanks-type system for users to unlock the save.
  • Users can unlock x amount of saves per day (2 for regular users, more for VIP?)
  • The user isn't charged to unlock the save, but the save poster receives a set amount of credits per "unlock" - 10-100cr?
  • Unlock is irreversible (which doesn't matter as much in this way).

Best of both worlds this way? Adds another perk for VIP users giving them more save unlocks but doesn't lock out free users either.

I'm unsure, and it's one of the things that needs to be figured out clearly before any work on this is done. I'm not keen on making credits purchasable, and while they should be easy enough to accumulate, there will be a time when you don't have the credits to unlock a save.

Perhaps an alternative solution:
  • Save creator posts the save file in a saves-only section.
  • It's a thanks-type system for users to unlock the save.
  • Users can unlock x amount of saves per day (2 for regular users, more for VIP?)
  • The user isn't charged to unlock the save, but the save poster receives a set amount of credits per "unlock" - 10-100cr?
  • Unlock is irreversible (which doesn't matter as much in this way).

Best of both worlds this way? Adds another perk for VIP users giving them more save unlocks but doesn't lock out free users either.

Seeing how most people come here for saves, I'd suggest to not limit how many saves they can unlock, or at least have a way to increase the limit without paying actual money. Maybe an option in the shop to increase the limit with credits?

Seeing how most people come here for saves, I'd suggest to not limit how many saves they can unlock, or at least have a way to increase the limit without paying actual money. Maybe an option in the shop to increase the limit with credits?

I would think 2-3 should be enough in a 24 hour period, but having a limit increase in the shop is a great idea.

That there would kill off day to day activity, especially for those who come here strictly for saves or to share work. Limiting that in a sense isn't the best idea.

The other way would be to allow unlimited unlocks for all users, which is something we could allow. But they absolutely shouldn't be reversible like the current thanks system.

I'm happy with whatever gets updated or changed.. I'm honestly not fussed.. How ever I do respect the Hide function as it stops people from making up a dummy account to download peoples content but saying that If their was bug that could manipulate the thumbs up button then I would rather a new system to stop these people from gaining access the content.. Maybe option (2) could be good for us all, I mean you get a couple of free credits posting a thread every time.. Look forward to seeing something new thanks for your time on reading my response

I always saw the "thank" feature as a way to enlist users to join & to get users commendation for their activities & achievements. More often than not I think the feature gets overlooked. It would be nice if users could "donate" credits through a post to another user, saying like "Here's 500 credits for the amazing game save!".

I also agree with disabling the ability to remove your thank, if you think about if you want to "Thank" or "Hide" a post then you'd realize your choosing your definitive option & everyone will see that you appreciate or don't appreciate the post. It should be like in theory saying it to their face if they did a good or bad job, they shouldn't be able to take it back. Although, I do believe having the thank system locked more securely in a way will help users.

I know a lot of users get confused with the "thank button under user-postbit to the left" advice and then report posts by accident. I understand that not everybody knows what the post-bit is. That could be changed.

Status
Not open for further replies.