• Welcome Guest to the new PlayerSquared! Please be aware the site is a work in progress & we'd appreciate your help in letting us know which features from the old site we're currently missing as well as report any bugs you find via this thread here: Bugs/Missing Features
  • If this is your first visit You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. Sign up today to get the latest PS4 GameSaves, Game Mods and much more!

Encourage user activity with user rewards, rank, progression, prestige

Status
Not open for further replies.

Armitage

Banned
February 5, 2020
At the moment there isn't really that much of a motivation for users to post regularly on the site.

Thinking of this site as a game. It's barebones. Basically no reward, no XP, recognition, customisation or money earned for spending time on the site (besides the $30 Amazon gift voucher).

We have rep but it's meaningless when the community is so small. Thinking like a game, I think this site needs small and "meaningful" objectives to encourage growth and more posts.

For example, post enough threads, enough posts, get a certain amount of rep and you unlock a bold username or a different coloured username or a ribbon or badge 🟩 kinda like what the staff have under their usernames.

When I play a game I rewards, rank and customisation keep me playing the game. The same on this site would probably encourage me to post more.

EDIT 1: You can change your username in the store but it isn't really advertised and there needs to be more content than just this.

EDIT 2: Maybe after a great contribution to the site (whether that be after a grand amount of posts or whatever), allow a user to have their own sub tucked away in some far end corner of the forum. Call it user custom subs or something. Kinda like reddits model. I think that would be cool. User can suggest any niche such as anime, world news, life hacks, cooking recipes etc.

Last edited:
At the moment there isn't really that much of a motivation for users to post regularly on the site.

Thinking of this site as a game. It's barebones. Basically no reward, no XP, recognition, customisation or money earned for spending time on the site (besides the $30 Amazon gift voucher).

We have rep but it's meaningless when the community is so small. Thinking like a game, I think this site needs small and "meaningful" objectives to encourage growth and more posts.

For example, post enough threads, enough posts, get a certain amount of rep and you unlock a bold username or a different coloured username or a ribbon or badge 🟩 kinda like what the staff have under their usernames.

When I play a game I rewards, rank and customisation keep me playing the game. The same on this site would probably encourage me to post more.

EDIT 1: You can change your username in the store but it isn't really advertised and there needs to be more content than just this.

EDIT 2: Maybe after a great contribution to the site (whether that be after a grand amount of posts or whatever), allow a user to have their own sub tucked away in some far end corner of the forum. Call it user custom subs or something. Kinda like reddits model. I think that would be cool. User can suggest any niche such as anime, world news, life hacks, cooking recipes etc.

We are currently looking at porting our XP based progression system from the old site over, which will lead to unlockable user-selectable titles, banners, and other customization options. I am definitely keen to get this done so we can expect to see it soon.

User-owned subs is an interesting idea; we could trial it and see how it is used when the XP system is ready to go live.

In terms of other kinds of customizations, what kind of things would you like to see here? As mentioned we're going to have ranks, titles, postbit backgrounds etc. but I am always open to additional ideas for this.

I vouch for this to be a feature as well. I'd love to see little awards/medals above our avatar or name on our profile. Hovering over them will show the end-user what they did to earn it. Have a section on the right where we have the "About, Visitor Messages" etc. for Awards.

In addition, background titles, eh, only if it's a clean design. Nothing too sloppy that can be popping out and flashy making everything feel unorganized. This was an issue I felt like all forums made, especially with effects on their name. Awards can make a user feel accomplished, and want to keep grinding them out. This creates activity and productivity in the forums.

XP Levels sounds exciting. It's another thing that can be compared from a new user to a veteran user. We can use this as a twist to the site. Double XP randomly time-to-time to bring in traffic to be more active. We can also use this to be a vShop item to gift/buy for users. Doing so, this might create a memory sequence where they'll most likely login the next day to catch up with the posts or threads they've created.

The prestige system kinda sounds already... used? I mean, I haven't seen a website do it, but we might as well attempt to find a way to make it our own, you know? It'd be fun to see how our developers would do it, and if they did, that's great work. I believe we should keep this on the side for now until we find more traffic and take care of other small stuff. Nice ideas though!

I vouch for this to be a feature as well. I'd love to see little awards/medals above our avatar or name on our profile. Hovering over them will show the end-user what they did to earn it. Have a section on the right where we have the "About, Visitor Messages" etc. for Awards.

In addition, background titles, eh, only if it's a clean design. Nothing too sloppy that can be popping out and flashy making everything feel unorganized. This was an issue I felt like all forums made, especially with effects on their name. Awards can make a user feel accomplished, and want to keep grinding them out. This creates activity and productivity in the forums.

XP Levels sounds exciting. It's another thing that can be compared from a new user to a veteran user. We can use this as a twist to the site. Double XP randomly time-to-time to bring in traffic to be more active. We can also use this to be a vShop item to gift/buy for users. Doing so, this might create a memory sequence where they'll most likely login the next day to catch up with the posts or threads they've created.

The prestige system kinda sounds already... used? I mean, I haven't seen a website do it, but we might as well attempt to find a way to make it our own, you know? It'd be fun to see how our developers would do it, and if they did, that's great work. I believe we should keep this on the side for now until we find more traffic and take care of other small stuff. Nice ideas though!

The prestige system is something I wrote a concept for several years ago. It's something we could look at building in, but we will need to figure out rewards/etc for it.

Pushing out comments, creating threads, or receiving likes can bump X amount of XP. Earning awards can double/triple the XP earned. We’d need some nice designers to create prestiges, awards, or medals. Possibly editing them to what you’d like to showcase on your profile.

Just to touch on this (so you know it's not being ignored/overlooked) - we are working on something for this. Keep your eyes posted as we'll be able to show something off soon.

Status
Not open for further replies.