Page 2 of 2 First 1 2
    VIP User
    VIP

Credits

Is Higher Education Worth It?
    Share:

I see so many people pursuing college degrees for things they are more than capable of learning without tens of thousands of dollars of debt so I pass the question onto you. Overall, is college worth it in 2020?
    Swing by the Twitch channel if you're awesome <3
    [Only registered and activated users can see links. ]

Credits

Re: Is Higher Education Worth It?
    Share:

I should apologize at the outset because while I said I disagreed, I didn't clarify to say precisely what I disagreed with, and while I said you raised good points, I didn't say in what ways I agreed with you. As anyone who knows me from NGU knows, I'm painfully long-winded, particularly when I am enjoying a discussion (which is most of the time), and I didn't want to derail the thread and thus stifle the chance for anyone else to contribute.

So let me say, hopefully a bit more clearly, exactly how I agree with you, and also state again why I think higher education is worth it, because I think we're closer to each other than you might think.

I absolutely agree with you that the system is broken. I absolutely agree with you that it has become rigged, either intentionally or because educational institutions have become engaged in a "race to the top" in which tuition must soar and the second someone raises their rates the rest much match or be deemed inferior, meanwhile actual services provided to students keep droppings particularly compared to what is charged. I absolutely agree with you that the net effect is to prove a societal block, keeping people in debt if they need to pay for it themselves, while those in the upper strata of society, rather than starting out their lives riddled with debt, can pursue not just any option that would be naturally open to them, but a much greater array of options because they also have all of the economic opportunities that have been effectively denied to their less privileges peers (here is what I mean: If me and an equally-qualified candidate were to seek the same clerkship with the same judge out of law school, but that other candidate was not riddled with debt, that other candidate would be twice as likely to get the clerkship, since I would in no way be able to even apply for a clerkship, since I would default on my loans on a clerk's salary, despite it being one of the most important things a first-year lawyer can do to build up their resume).

And no, I absolutely do not think the system should be that way. Not at all. This has been one of my biggest complaints since I entered "real life," and yet my current peers have absolutely no idea what I mean, because they come from an entirely different world. And to repeat a point I have attempted to make throughout my life, including earlier in this thread: Some of the most capable and intelligent people I have known, they have been entirely barred from opportunity because of the sorts of intangibles you raise, such as pieces of paper and numbers.

Plenty of your other points resonate with me to a greater or lesser extent because I really don't think we are that far off.

I think we have made the same realizations, but have just made different conclusions about what to do about it. The game is rigged. But the OP asks whether higher education is worth it, and my answer is yes. Despite every single problem we have named, I strongly believe it is the best, safest and most efficient path to success that we have in our society, unless one is very gifted in ways that obviate the need for higher education, such as an artist or athlete. Is it the only way? No. Do I think it's perfect? Absolutely not. Like you, it frustrates me endlessly. I have children, and as much as I wanted a good life for myself, that pales in comparison to my desire for them to be happy, so this is not a minor issue for me. They will be working harder than I did, for less than I did, to get the same piece of paper.

I do believe there are other benefits, strong benefits, that you gain from learning in a group environment, but I touched on them above and you disagreed with them above, which is of course fine. I'm only raising them again to point out that I'm not dropping them, only making clear that I am in no way saying our system is an ideal one.

For your points on employers starting to forego the needs for degrees, I can't comment for two reasons: (1) I haven't worked in almost a decade and I'm sure quite a bit has changed and (2) that would not and could not happen in my profession because it would be prohibited by law. So it's just something I would not know anything about.

EDIT: By the way, I am not at all trying to get you to agree with me. I'm only attempting to clarify my points above, or at least let you see where I am coming from.

Bravo Six, Going Dark
    Staff

Credits

Share:

Originally Posted by aeneax
    EDIT: By the way, I am not at all trying to get you to agree with me. I'm only attempting to clarify my points above, or at least let you see where I am coming from.
    Hey, I'm as stubborn as a mule lmao but ngl I've enjoyed our back and forth here, that's why we made this section

PlayerSquared Staff Member
    Useful Links:
    [Only registered and activated users can see links. ] | [Only registered and activated users can see links. ] | [Only registered and activated users can see links. ] | [Only registered and activated users can see links. ] | [Only registered and activated users can see links. ]

VIP User
    VIP

Credits

Share:

Originally Posted by EgoMaw
    Hey, I'm as stubborn as a mule lmao but ngl I've enjoyed our back and forth here, that's why we made this section
    I just wanted to share while I don't personally have much to add to either side I have really enjoyed the back and forth on here and it has definitely provided several valid points and perspectives
    Swing by the Twitch channel if you're awesome <3
    [Only registered and activated users can see links. ]

Page 2 of 2 First 1 2