• Welcome Guest to the new PlayerSquared! Please be aware the site is a work in progress & we'd appreciate your help in letting us know which features from the old site we're currently missing as well as report any bugs you find via this thread here: Bugs/Missing Features
  • If this is your first visit You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. Sign up today to get the latest PS4 GameSaves, Game Mods and much more!

Is being fat a disease

SQUID-EYE

JIMZO-F
JIMZO-F
December 15, 2018
A recent news publisher posted about the UK government having talks about whether being fat is a disease or that you just like eating for a family of 10.

Thoughts?

Personally it's absolute bollocks! How bad as soceity and life got that they have to try to powder things up. They put more calories on than they can burn.. they get fat, they get unhappy.. then they claim every benefit to not work.

[quote="SQUID-EYE" pid='937' dateline='1546600037']
A recent news publisher posted about the UK government having talks about whether being fat is a disease or that you just like eating for a family of 10.

Thoughts?

Personally it's absolute bollocks! How bad as soceity and life got that they have to try to powder things up. They put more calories on than they can burn.. they get fat, they get unhappy.. then they claim every benefit to not work.
[/quote]

Now that's just bullshit. Being obese ok but fat? come on

[quote="Kimon" pid='938' dateline='1546601196']

Now that's just bullshit. Being obese ok but fat? come on
[/quote]

Obese.. Fat people put themselves in that situation.

If it became a disease it would be under the same category as Cancer...

Depends on the person, some people legitimately have problems that cause them to gain weight uncontrollably. I know someone like this personally. But, that is probably like 1/50th of all obese people. You make the mental decision to eat unhealthy,  at wrong times, and not have physical activity. All in all, nobody else can be blamed for that. The food industry doesn't exactly help though. So no, I don't think its a disease in most cases.

I remember seeing something like this when I was going for nursing before I switched majors.

"Fat" is a loose term as there are multiple types of overweight body types, but the World Health Organization classifies obesity as being a chronic progressive disease.

So it really depends on how much excessive body fat you've accumulated.

Self inflicted, I understand some people can't help it because their are problems that can make you gain weight even if you hardly eat, but majority of it is down to the person and lack of self control, in my opinion

I believe it can be a symptom of a disease. Addiction, depression, diabetes, genes etc. I think it goes deeper than just deciding to put food in your mouth. Addicts for example may need to take more and more of a substances to maintain stability and chemicals such as dopamine, endorphins etc in the brain. Same with those suffering from depression. In that case I would suggest the real disease is chemical imbalance. Over-consumption and fat is just a result of that.

Same with bulimia and anorexia.

As someone who went through an eating disorder throughout my entire teens I can say that obesity isn’t directly a disease, however as many others commented obesity is the result of other diseases and disorders such as depression. I ate food to calm my mind, I ate so much that the food almost began to seem tasteless, yet I would still just eat it up without second thought because I had become reliant on it. Put on a buttload of pounds quickly, and I’m just barely coming off of it here in my early 20s. So a disease itself? Naw. But caused by other diseases, more than likely.

Being fat/obese isn't always about being lazy, granted there will be a very small few who will have everything done for them as they sit in front of the TV, others there could be underlining issues either it being health, like chronic pain and they can barely move, mental issues like depression, stress or it could be work related, for example working behind a desk for 12-16 hours a day.

It's not a disease itself but, it is the effect of another cause.