Game Review - Team Sonic Racing

Team Sonic Racing Review

Before we begin I'd just like to say that this is the first ever game review I have written, as such it may take me a few more reviews until I get settled and the whole formatting feels right. With that said, lets get into the review and expect more to be coming from me soon.

Initial Thoughts

I started off as a fan of the Sonic series playing most of the retro games growing up as kid. Although as time went by the ingenuity and creative work of game designers and production teams became stale and repetitive and as a result the reputation of the series has been going into a fast decline. Thankfully the track record (no pun intended) for the kart racing spin-offs hasn't been that bad and there have actually been many successful kart racing genre games added to the franchise. Sumo Digital who also gave us well received games like Sonic and Sega All-Star Racing and Sonic and Sega All-Star Racing Transformed have a high reputation among the Sonic fans for developing the best kart racing genre games. Their latest game Team Sonic Racing was slated for release fall 2018 but had to be delayed to allow for more development time and is now set to be released May 21st 2019. While many have questioned Sega's marketing strategy, the game still received positive support from both fans and testers alike many enthusiastic about it's unique team based mechanics, customization options and stunning high definition visuals and re-mastered soundtracks throwing us back to the retro era. The concept has something for both old and new fans alike, but does it live up to the hype?

Gameplay

As mentioned before the game features a unique team based mechanic that forces you to adapt to a brand new strategic play style. There were some initial skepticism about AI not being adequate enough to support this unique play style but after playing the game you find that the AI are more than capable of supporting other team members both offensively and defensively. The wisps (weapons) you can use change between the 3 classes of a racer you get to choose from; Speed, Technique and Power. The game encourages you to play as a team through the Ultimate Meter which fills as you perform team specific actions such as transferring item boxes, taking down rivals or giving teammates a speed boost with a slingshot. You and your team race around surrounded by stunning recreations of environments from previous games, working together to finish as high on the scoreboard as possible. Usually in a kart racer the winner is the first to cross the line but this isn't the case with Team Sonic Racing. The final positions on the scoreboard equate to a set amount of points which get tallied up between the separate teams and because of this it's not always the case of who finished first. It's because of this that teamwork is paramount and any actions that involve supporting your team will only boost your chances of winning when the scores are combined. While teamwork is all but essential in this game it is equally awarded, unique and more powerful wisps and abilities can only be obtained by doing certain team actions and at times these can be the difference between winning and losing. Aside from the team based races which account for most of the game, there are options for solo races for those who just want to flex their racing skills and aim for the top. Something to suit everyone. Overall the gameplay felt smooth and easy to adapt to, experimenting with the different classes added even more unique strategies and fun elements to the racing experience but the most satisfying part is spending your well earned in-game currency on new performance parts to make that ride just that little bit sweeter.

Will finish rest tomorrow, going bed...

"Remember, no Russian."
    Administrator
    Threads

RE: Game Review - Team Sonic Racing

Closed temporarily by request.