• Welcome Guest to the new PlayerSquared! Please be aware the site is a work in progress & we'd appreciate your help in letting us know which features from the old site we're currently missing as well as report any bugs you find via this thread here: Bugs/Missing Features
  • If this is your first visit You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. Sign up today to get the latest PS4 GameSaves, Game Mods and much more!

How To Fix Wi-Fi Connectivity Issues

Hydrogen

Cybersecurity Analyst
VIP User
March 4, 2020
Have you turned on your computer before and noticed SSIDs were not populating from the taskbar? What about going into your favorite web browser to only have nothing show up except an error code? This tutorial will help you resolve any sort of issues with wifi connectivity and DNS errors. Before we begin, I suggest creating a good-known restore point in case any issues arise when attempting these configurations and fixes. To do so, search on your desktop for "Create a Restore Point". You should be able to see a pop-up called System Properties. If you have never made a restore point, go ahead and click on Configure and choose your desired percentage of space. I would suggest sticking with 2%. From there, click create a restore point and name it to whatever you like.

sq3ubti.png

Method 1: PHYSICAL BUTTONS

Older laptops have physical kill switches or buttons that enable airplane mode. Modern devices have function keys that enable and disable airplane mode. Verify none of those are enabled.

Method 2: CONGESTION

If you haven't restarted your device in a while, it can bug out your drivers and cause it to temporarily not work. This is a rare event, but I have seen it happen before. Go ahead and restart your device.

Method 3: DRIVERS

A driver is a low-level code that helps communicate with your hardware/software to the operating system; vice versa. This is a common issue with troubleshooting as sometimes drivers can be corrupted and you may need to either revert to a good-known driver, update or reinstall it.

For your wifi, right-click on your Windows logo and head into Device Manager. This is the location where your drivers sit at. You can find everything dealing with audio, firmware, connection, M&K, and more. We are looking for "Network Adapters".

I would first suggest right-clicking all of them EXCEPT the ones that start with WAN. Delete them including the software if it asks. Restart your device and see if that fixes the issue. NOTE: if the issue is caused by another thing, this will probably not work unless you are WIRED to allow them to reinstall properly.

Method 4: VPNs/Proxies

If you are using a VPN/Proxies, they can be misconfigured or even break at random times. This will intercept any sort of incoming or outgoing traffic which breaks your connectivity. Go to settings > network > and disable any VPNs or Proxies. If you are using extensions OR programs, disable them.

Method 5: NETWORK RESET

Network Resetting is my go-to in case there are no other basic troubleshooting steps I can do. You can search for Network Reset and restart your computer.

Method 6: Anti-Virus Applications

If you are running an AV or multiple, attempt to pause their scanning tools and see if that allows your wifi to work. They can control functionality to "help" prevent any sort of attack or infection.

Method 7: PUP/PUA/PUM/Malware

Infections and potentially unwanted programs/applications/modifications can control your operating system and restrict functionality. We want to mitigate these issues by removing them and using a proper AV (anti-virus).

Go to settings > applications. Breeze through your applications and delete anything that is 3rd-party or things you do not recognize. If you are the person who has multiple AVs and VPN Applications like TunnelBear, Avast, Hola, McAfee, etc... remove them all. You should not be running multiple AVs as they can restrict settings with each other and potentially slow down your machine.

Let's scan for malware. I suggest using Malwarebytes as their free trial works like magic, and the detection rate is extremely high. If your machine has hidden infections or any leftover traces, this will find it. Scan and remove any detections and restart your device.

Method 8: SFC/DISM

System File Checker and Deployment Image Servicing Management help resolve any issues with system files. To do this, run CMD or Powershell as admin, and type the following commands. Note, depending on the age of your device, this can take a while. If the first command shows that it found nothing, continue to run the next command. Once both are completed, restart your device.

COMMANDS

sfc /scannow
DISM /online /cleanup-image /restorehealth

Method 9: Refreshing DNS/IP/TCP

Open Command Prompt or Powershell as Admin. Type in the following commands in order, and restart once done:

COMMANDS

ipconfig /release
ipconfig /renew
netsh winsock reset
ipconfig /flushdns
ipconfig /registerdns

Method 10: BIOS

If your device is on an older BIOS update, the manufacturer has probably verified an issue with wifi that persisted on a specific firmware. This option has numerous ways of being done. It is up to you to research how to update the latest bios. Make sure to have your data backed up, and proceed with caution as small mistakes can mess up your motherboard!

Updating your BIOS can also bring better improvements and fixes. This is documented on their official website to check what's new.

Method 11: IP Bottlenecks

Your device may be trying to use an IP Address that is already occupied by another device. We can attempt to configure it as DHCP, or we can do it the old fashion way. Turn off all your device, and unplug your modem for 15 minutes. Plug it back in and verify if your non-working machine has been assigned a new IP.

Method 12: Browser Restrictions

Look, your Wi-Fi is now working! The only issue is... every time you load a web page nothing happens? The best solution I can give is to go into your settings and complete a reset on your browser to see if anything related to network configurations is changed back to default.

Method 13: In-place Upgrade OR Clean Install

Last resort, I would recommend a DBU to an ExHDD. It is your choice if you would want to do either of these choices, but I'd do a clean install. If your issue continues, it may be a hardware issue. Depending on if you're using a laptop or a custom build. You can use wifi antennas, network cards, or external wifi adapters for builds. For laptops, you can buy internal wifi cards OR use an external wifi adapter.

In conclusion, there are numerous other ways to tackle this issue, but these are just a grasp of options you can attempt on your own! I hope this helps in any way.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2022-03-14 162728.jpg
    Screenshot 2022-03-14 162728.jpg
    11.4 KB · Views: 2