• Welcome Guest to the new PlayerSquared! Please be aware the site is a work in progress & we'd appreciate your help in letting us know which features from the old site we're currently missing as well as report any bugs you find via this thread here: Bugs/Missing Features
  • If this is your first visit You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. Sign up today to get the latest PS4 GameSaves, Game Mods and much more!

PS5 Doesn't support Savegame-transfer to USB

Fear not young grasshoppers!

In a new FAQ published on the PlayStation Blog, Senior Communications Director Sid Shuman wrote:

Players cannot transfer PS5 games to a USB drive. PS5 games must be stored on the console’s internal ultra-high speed SSD for gameplay. Explorations for allowing players to store (but not play) PS5 games on a USB drive in a future update are underway.

You can, however, store and play PS4 games from a compatible USB drive connected to PS5. For more details, keep reading.

yeet

Fear not young grasshoppers!

In a new FAQ published on the PlayStation Blog, Senior Communications Director Sid Shuman wrote:

Players cannot transfer PS5 games to a USB drive. PS5 games must be stored on the console’s internal ultra-high speed SSD for gameplay. Explorations for allowing players to store (but not play) PS5 games on a USB drive in a future update are underway.

You can, however, store and play PS4 games from a compatible USB drive connected to PS5. For more details, keep reading.

yeet

That won't be potentially exploited at all lmao

The main thing I'm wondering:

Can you copy a PS4 save that's on your PS5 back to a USB stick. (is this a 1 way move)
Can you edit a save with Save Wizard and put add the USB to the PS5 like you would the PS4.

The fact you can USB saves in to start with is something at least the community is not starting from nothing like past gens.

Last edited:
the only idea that is feasible is to write a scripted proxy or you can try messing around with Charles web debugging proxy.
that will allow you to intercept the URL when the save gets uploaded to cloud storage & when you download from cloud storage instead downloading from cloud. The URL get redirected live to download from local storage on your computer instead.

something similar to this: GitHub - harryi3t/psx-download-helper-nodejs: Helps download app/games on pc and then transfer them to ps
I've been using this on ps4 to speed up my digital game downloads, what this does it gives you the links to the PKG's to download on your computer which can be accelerated much faster using parallel downloading (15-20+ connections to a single file instead of the usually slow 1 connection)

& when running this proxy with the PKG's in the data folder it intercept's the PKG's URL & loads it from my local HDD instead. so this could porbebbly be done for saves ;)
however save data will still need to be decrypted & re-encrypted.

The main thing I'm wondering:

Can you copy a PS4 save that's on your PS5 back to a USB stick. (is this a 1 way move)
Can you edit a save with Save Wizard and put add the USB to the PS5 like you would the PS4.

The fact you can USB saves in to start with is something at least the community is not starting from nothing like past gens.

Guess it’s possible.53AB0294-E5CA-4877-9D32-354EA765CD41.jpg

That what I feared few years ago about Sony could remove the USB save transfer - it is already happened with PS5 but Sony could remove the feature on PS4 if they want, however, it hasn't happened yet.

I decided to sticking with PC and has no plan to get PS5 until much later but I could get it early if it is hacked to allow save backup.

No Mans Sky as extended storage on PS5 (Shows as PS4 External Storage)

Can edit NMS sky save and place back into PS5 (as PS4 storage) - works fine.

If you upgrade NMS to PS5 version which then installs to PS5 SSD you can't edit.

MUST KEEP GAMES IN PS4 extended storage if you want to edit!!!

No Mans Sky as extended storage on PS5 (Shows as PS4 External Storage)

Can edit NMS sky save and place back into PS5 (as PS4 storage) - works fine.

If you upgrade NMS to PS5 version which then installs to PS5 SSD you can't edit.

MUST KEEP GAMES IN PS4 extended storage if you want to edit!!!

Following on from this, I copied my save from 'The Last Of Us Part 2' from my PS5 (Downloaded to SSD), from the USB i edited the save on SaveWizard, and copied it back to the PS5 with no issues at all. So you are 100% correct, standard editing on PS4 games that are stored on the PS5 are edited the same as before (For now....)

That is still possible.
To put it in a simple way, you CAN copy and do whatever you want with saves for PS4 tagged games, however it's not possible with PS5 tagged games.
To this day you can download PS4 save from here, resign it, and plug it into your PS5. For PS4 games (like Yakuza Remastered Collection for example) the console WILL read it.

But for games like Horizon Forbidden West (PS5 ver.) it's just not possible, and PS5 doesn't allow that. It's probably due to the save encrypting and preventing users from resigning saves on their PCs.
Actually, when CFW will finally come out I'm positive there will be a software where you would just "flip the switch on" and unlock a trophy just like that. It's easier, I have something like that on my PS3. Apollo Save Resigner it was called I guess